Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 3 Album Review

The Alabama born rapper Michael Wayne Atha A.K.A Yelawolf returned to release his last ever Shady Records project on Friday 29th March. This project Yelawolf is keeping it simple, taking it back to his southern roots with classic, big bass, 808 instrumentals. But was it good?

For me, this is Yelawolf's best album he has released under Eminem's label 'Shady Records'. This album was way more 'in tune' with what the hip hop music scene is actually saying at the moment. He never sacrifices his fast, hard-hitting flows (which is easily his best asset), and he kills the modern, trappy instrumentals. There was much less 'cringey' bars on this LP too, that I feel were often present on previous projects. 



The features were really well placed here too. And the controversial feature of Machine Gun Kelly (given MGK's 2018 beef with Eminem) actually paid off quite well. Although no doubt, Yelawolf bodied MGK on the song titled 'Rowdy', MGK's bars were kind of basic, but to give credit where it's due, the song is one of the best from the album. 



Yelawolf also dispatched some more melodic tunes, rapping over lighter instrumentals, this is something I knew he was fully capable of, given his 2011 album 'Radioactive' is laced with songs of this nature. My only criticism of this album is there were some slightly forgettable songs, and mainly because they had weak hooks, or Yelawolf didn't do anything particularly interesting in the verses. For example 'All The Way UP' and 'We Slum'.

For me it is a real shame Yelawolf has decided to leave Shady Records, I will still follow his music, but personally I like all of his last four albums 'Radioactive', 'Love Story', 'Trial By Fire' and now 'Trunk Muzik 3'. He has slowly become one of my favourite artists and I think he is highly versatile and criminally underrated. I'll definitely be having 'Trunk Muzik 3' on rotation the next couple of months.



Star Track - Catfish Billy 2

8/10


Comments