Homicide: Logic and Eminem - Track Review

Logic and Eminem, two behemoths of the rap game, that both claim GOAT status, go toe-to-toe for the entertainment of white people everywhere. Nah, but seriously this collaboration has been anticipated for so long now by both sets of fans and has finally come to fruition, but was it actually good?

3 Minute Read

Where to start? Well, this song starts with Logic snapping straight in (after a funny skit with his dad) with this absolute 'machine gun' flow that rides the beat perfectly. He starts with the hook before beginning his verse, it was one of those hooks where you can't actually tell that it's a hook un till you've heard the entire song, because it's a similar, fast-paced tempo to the verses.

Logic sets the tone of the song and Eminem follows. At first I couldn't really understand what either of them were saying, so based on just the flows, I was like oh shit Logic has just bodied Eminem. However, after several listens, Eminem's verse grew on me just like the entire track did. My initial conclusion was that Logic had a better flow but Eminem had better bars. However, that 'platypus' flow Eminem had was insane, probably my highlight of the song, even though the bar that set it up was kind of shit. 

"Big bills like a platypus a caterpiller's comin' to get the canibus, i'm looking for the smoke but you motherfuckers are scatterin' batterin' everything and I've had it with the inadequate man, I can see my dick is standing stiff as a mannequin"



Yeah so the more I listened, the more I caught the bars of each rapper, and although I still do believe Logic had a nice flow, his bars just weren't as good. His verse lacked quotable lyrics, whereas Eminem's was full of them. Plus in a song where you claim to be the GOAT and you criticize mumble rappers for being repetitive, you can't then do that in your verse, where's the Logic in that!? Logic's verses just came across a little filler and repetitive, I expected him to come with more fire on a track with Em, but still, can't criticize that AK-47 flow.

Another cool thing that they both did was being self-aware, Logic showed he is aware of people's criticism of him for being too repetitive, I did think this was hard to be fair:

 "Cause I'm killin' this shit, yeah I'm killin' this shit, oh yeah, oh yeah I'm killin' this shit, Bobby how many times you been killin' this shit? Find another rhyme Goddam ni**a shit".



And Eminem flipped the joke that Chris D'Elia made about Em when he made that hilarious video mocking him. Apparently Eminem used all the same words in his verse that Chris D'Elia actually did in his imitation. He used some of the same flows too. I'll put a link to Chris D'Elia's Eminem videos at the bottom.

The Chris D'Elia joke is funny, the FIRST TIME YOU HEAR IT. Having it play for 45 seconds at the end of the song is a joke in itself. It decreases the replay-ability of the song massively. Soon as Eminem's verse finishes and Chris' part starts, please try find me someone who doesn't just skip straight away. But that's what I mean, if you're driving or in the shower, it means that you have to wait 45 seconds, hearing a joke you've already heard, just before getting to the next song. I reckon a lot of people will avoid putting Homicide in their playlists because of this, as a lot of people want their playlists to transition seamlessly from song to song.

Overall, I like this song, it has gotten better with every listen and I'm pleased they finally collaborated. I would've given this song a 7/10 but because they had one of the most fire transitions ever from Logic's hook to Eminem's verse I'm going to give this a 7.5.





Other Chris D'Elia Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeV3Jz18kc
 

Comments