Lil Nas X - 7 EP: Review

After Old Town Road completely took over the world there was obviously going to be questions of 'one hit wonder' and all that, but with Lil Nas X finally releasing music since that hip-hop/country banger, I'll take a look whether he could really kick on from this, or if he's heading for the same fate as many one hit wonders that have come before him.

4 Minute Read

So what was good about 7 EP? Like Old Town Road, the entire EP is extremely catchy. Usually it's his melodic flows and his smooth hooks which get you humming along or just chilling to. Literally, there isn't one song on the EP that isn't catchy. So if you are looking for something a little light, quick and easy to listen to, I would definitely recommend this project.



It just felt really fresh and diverse, all the songs seemed really different. Obviously Old Town Road contained country elements, F9mily (You & Me) and Bring You Down both were really poppy but with rock elements to them, Rodeo again had country elements to it, and also contained a pretty solid feature from Cardi B. 

"Can't be no ni**a ex, I can only be his widow" - I can't deny, that bar is well good.



Laid back tune Kick It was more what I expected this project to be, just really chilled out, airy trap beats, with some good little samples/sounds over the top. By far my favourite song on this album was C7osure (You Like). This song seemed really experimental, had a nice tempo and the flow and delivery of the lyrics made it sound like a Disclosure song or something, again it was mad catchy, and definitely worth a listen.

What didn't I like? Well, did both the original and the remix of Old Town Road have to be on a 7-track EP? For me, I'd have just picked one, ideally the remix because it is miles better than the original. Compared to the remix, the original sounds like an unfinished demo that is really under-produced. So yeah, I try to listen to a project twice a day, for a week before I review it, so I basically listened to Old Town Road 4 times a day, and considering I was completely over that song at like the start of June, it was quite frustrating. 



My only other criticism is that, outside of Old Town Road, there aren't many memorable moments lyrically. I can't think of many quotable lyrics from Lil Nas X. It meant although some of the songs were catchy and had a good vibe, they just didn't do anything for me. And you don't have to be a really talented rapper to create those memorable moments. For example, Kodak Black, who isn't exactly Nas with the pen, still has bars that I absolutely love and am sure to rap along to when I hear them. 
For example, in Kodak's track Too Many Years - "I seen a ni**a play gangsta, then he broke down, lost a lot, lost his mind in the courthouse, I'm on XXL, I'm in New York now". 



Overall, this EP has surpassed my expectations. I could happily return to any of these songs, especially C7osure which I can see myself playing regularly. It will be interesting to see where Lil Nas goes next and to see if he can pull it off on a full-length album. But at this point, his music is so varied, he could literally take it in any direction and I won't be surprised. Good luck to him.

7.5/10


Comments