Classic Album Review: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Back with another classic album review. Kanye West again, this time with his 5th album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". From the minute the first track played, I knew that this was going to be well different compared to "Graduation" which was the other Kanye album that I reviewed.

2 Minute Read

A little bit weirder, I think is a fair comment, when looking at My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (MBDTF) compared to Graduation. Graduation is like the benchmark and the only thing I had to compare MBDTF to, album-wise.



MBDTF is full of bangers, all the tracks are really long too, I think the shortest is "Lost in the world", and that is basically longer as it's connected to the outro "Who will survive in America".
You can tell a lot of these songs were more music-focused and less lyrical. He's a really talented producer so that definitely wasn't an issue. With that being said, there were still many lyrical highlights to the album too, for example the hook on "Devil in a new dress" was really good: "Put your hands up to the constellation, the way you look should be a sin, you my sensation".

Also, the 2 mega-feature tracks in the middle were basically all about the lyrics, on "Monster" Jay Z obviously kills it, they all basically do, but it should be said, that Nicki Minaj verse was the best verse I've ever heard her spit. Her flow on these bars is pretty phenomenal - "Pink wig thick ass, give 'em whiplash, I think big, get cash, make 'em blink fast, now look at what you just saw, this is what you live for".


No songs on here were skippable, possibly "POWER", even with that infectious instrumental, it's one of them songs that gets played all the time, I remember it being on "Saints Row 3", so I did already know POWER quite well. Despite all the songs being really long, I think they were mostly perfect length. Again, the only ones I would make a couple minutes shorter would be "POWER" and "All of the lights".


Some of the songs took a little while to grow on me, those ones included "Monster", "So appalled", "Devil in a new dress" and "Lost in the world". My favourite track is easily "Blame Game", the "Yeezy taught me" skit at the end with Chris Rock is amazing. It is hilarious and I didn't skip it once. With the piano still in the back, I find it kind of endearing as well. I definitely think that it added so much to the song.

I said on my "Graduation" album review that Kanye had a few more experimental tracks on there, and this is the case even more so on MBDTF. For example, "POWER" and "Dark Fantasy". 

This album is witty, empowering, personal and has a good blend of tidy lyrics and banging instrumentals. 

8.5/10.



Comments