Snoop Dogg: "I Wanna Thank Me" Album Review

One thing you cannot say about Snoop Dogg is that he doesn't have a crazy work rate. It still feels very soon since he released Neva Left, and I had a look and he's released projects inbetween Neva Left and I Wanna Thank Me.

3 Minute Read

However, as has been proven the case from a few different rappers now, a fast work-rate doesn't necessarily = quality content, just take a look at Logic. This is a long album as well, 22 songs at about 1 hour 22 minutes. I don't think there's really many skits either.


This album came out the same weekend as Young Thug's album and I wasn't sure which album to review because I like both artists but I wanted to dedicate my time to just one. I have heard Young Thug's album though and it has some class songs on there. I kind of regret my decision to pick Snoop's. 

I Wanna Thank Me is really all over the place. Similar to Neva Left in that it is really unfocused. You had deep, personal or very conscious songs (that were for the most part pretty sick and interesting) such as; So Misinformed, One Blood, One Cuzz and Let Bygones Be Bygones. But for every one of them songs there was 2 songs that were just empty and shallow with some really bizarre production, such as Turn Me On.

The beats on here were no where near as good as they were on Neva Left. Some of the more upbeat dance type ones had kind of house and RnB influences, but they just weren't doing anything for me. He had some pretty good lyrics here and there but nothing too crazy. He's not the most technical rapper so them songs that had maybe a dead beat or an average chorus never picked up in the verses either, this just meant there was a lot of filler on the album. This album could've easily been 12-15 songs. I C Your Bullshit is probably one of my least favourite songs of the year so far.



I don't just wanna shit on the album because it's not even bad like that, plus Snoop is an OG despite this. Like, it's not bad to the point where it'd harm his legacy and it doesn't even make me question whether Snoop still has it. It's more just bad like it's too long, un-focused and he doesn't seem to harness all the positive parts of his ability like he has done on previous projects.

However, there was some great songs that I'd recommend. The first 4 tracks are all really potent and had me thinking this was gonna be one of the albums of the year. As well as them, New Booty, Take Me Away, First Place, Rise To The Top, Do You Like I Do and I've Been Looking For You were all really catchy and had great production.

I hope Snoop comes back in a few years time with more to write about and he pushes his pen a little harder, so he can create more tracks like them first 4 and those mentioned above.

4/10. 

Comments

Post a Comment