Kanye West - Yeezus Album Review

The Last Kanye album that I'll be reviewing in full (untill his new album), is Yeezus. His sixth album, coming out in 2013, I hadn't heard much about this album at all. Probably the least pre-conceptions I've had going in to any Kanye album, I didn't know what to expect, but was pretty excited nonetheless.

3 Minute Read

His second shortest album, running for just 40 mins this album seemed so fresh to me. It was easy to listen to, and that was mainly because it was something really different from Kanye. With a couple of his older ones (the first 3) it seems like any of the songs would fit on any of them albums, whereas with this one it was unique. A unique sound and a unique style.

Yeezus album


Yeezus has banger after banger. Really high-tempo start with On Sight and Black Skinhead that never really disappeared. Even the tired kind of flow at the very end on Bound 2 was backed up with a thick instrumental and sampling plus that massive hook, that I didn't even know was from a Kanye song. Think I heard it in a house mix somewhere.

It seems like on Yeezus he's less focused on making so many points and proving too much (apart from possibly I am a God and New Slaves), he kind of just lets the music do it's thing and raps where he needs to.

Kanye west at a concert


As well as the beats being crazy experimental, they were extremely powerful as well, so were his vocals. He seems more assured as a rapper, you can really hear the emotion in his voice throughout the whole album, his lyrics were on point and the beats were exciting. For me this had a lot of what 808's & Heartbreak lacked. I listened to both albums (and college dropout) in the same weeks, and I always was looking froward to the end of 808's so I could play Yeezus. Yeezus definitely ain't a "rappers album" or anything on a lyrical madness, but who the fuck cares, Yeezus is where it's at for Kanye. Out of all the albums so far, Yeezus has by far done the most for me and made me feel some type of way.

The songs flow so nicely to one another, I don't really know what was going on with some of the Jamaican accents throughout but I was loving that, especially at the end of "Send it Up". 

I know this isn't that classic Kanye sound, but I'd be happy for him to always make music like this. I think this is the music Kanye wants to make, or at least the music where he's having fun in the studio and pushing himself to the best of his ability. 

I can't think of many negatives from this album except the bars and flows could have been better, but it ain't even that music where I'd expect too much of that anyway. When the beats are going hard and his delivery is on point then that is enough for something great like this.

Kanye west


Honestly, I never expected that this would be one of my favourite Kanye albums thus far. I'll have to have a longer think about it, but it's potentially my favourite one. I'd buy Yeezus merch if it wasn't so incredibly shit.

Favourite track probably Send it Up because that's a serious head-bopper and even if the bars are average they're sounding hard as.

8.75/10

Comments