Classic Album Review: Reasonable Doubt - Jay Z

It's kinda mental that I haven't listened to a solo full length Jay Z album up until this point. I didn't even have Jay Z in my top 10. But that has all changed now...

3 Minute Read


I think one of the reasons I hadn't ever heard one of his albums fully is because they're not on Spotify, until now. It was weird because I was listening to Reasonable Doubt just on YouTube and literally this past week all of Jay's music returned to Spotify. It's sick because it means I'm more likely to be able to check out all the rest of his music, and after hearing Reasonable Doubt that is definitely something I want to do.

Reasonable Doubt is mega. The beats were really rugged and not necessarily clean cut or anything, but that definitely added to the album. They could probably re-master this album and make the beats sound really fresh and clear, but I think I'd prefer them how they are now, the grimey, classic sound adds to the authentic nature of the album. Although I was listening to them through headphones on Spotify, it felt as though I could've been hearing them through a boombox or on the radio in the mid 90's. Amazing production, the best beats were on "Ain't no Ni**a", "D'Evils" and "Dead Presidents II".

His style and flow is really quintessential of it's era, you can definitely tell that rappers like Biggie and Prodigy have had influence on him. But also you can hear his influence on a never-ending amount of rappers who have come out since.




The features were brilliant and added to the songs where they were placed. For example "Ain't no ni**a" and "Feelin' it" are probably the catchiest songs on the album, and they both have great features from female singers on the hooks. They were easily 2 of the best songs on the album. Foxy Brown's verse on "Ain't no ni**a"  was insane, the way she flows over the bars so effortlessly is incredible. I think she flows so well because she doesn't restrict herself with keeping to rhyme schemes for long periods of time, she basically changes the rhyme scheme every 2 bars, but it makes it seem like she's filling her verses with even more rhymes and she fills each bar perfectly, doesn't cram any words in or rushes the bars, but in fact just hops from scheme to scheme riding the beat comfortably. With the amazing beat, catchy hook and class verses "Ain't no ni**a" is definitely my favourite song from Reasonable Doubt and is a song I very much doubt I will get bored of.

There's so many great lyrical moments and memorable moments on the album. The skits were good, the interview one on "22 Two's" was really interesting and the Tribe Called Quest shoutout was great to hear too.



There's really not many negatives I can pull from about this album. Maybe some of the songs towards the end didn't hook me in as much as the earlier ones, but even then they are nice listens. "Politics as usual" is a hard track but I don't really care for the hook, but to be honest, I'm clutching to find things I dislike about Reasonable Doubt.

Going bar for bar with Biggie on "Brooklyn's Finest" seems like something that was pretty iconic, and it was exactly that to me.

No surprises that Reasonable Doubt is a certified classic and considered by many to be Jay Z's best album. I love it, I'm keen to get into other areas of his discography now.

8.75/10



Comments