Classic Album Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

Second time now reviewing a classic Kendrick Lamar album. Once again, an album that I'd only heard in parts but really should be more experienced with.




I'm going to try and keep this review short and sweet. There was so many different things to this album that I enjoyed, but in short, I think good kid m.A.Ad city is amazing. I think I saw it in an interview somewhere that when Kendrick's close friends heard good kid m.A.A.D city for the first time, it brought them to tears. They were overwhelmed with how Kendrick portrayed their lifestyle in Compton through beautiful West-Coast music. Although I didn't cry when I heard this album, and I've never been to California, I 1000% could understand why.. "Bumpin' that new E-40 after school..."



Production was at times nice and chilled and other times was really hype. This helped for the versatility of this album, there is definitely a song for every moment. 

I don't necessarily think Kendrick has the best voice ever, but the way he can alter his tone and cadence to emphasize his eccentric flows is addicting - Money Trees is one of my favourite examples of this, but also The Art of Peer Pressure too.

I'm not sure if it was a sample or new music for that song, but when the woman is singing "Promise that you'll sing about me forever" is brilliant. I just wish it was longer, personally I'd have made that the hook, but the fact that it is only a very short period in a very long song gives it that precious feeling.



The production on good kid is like something that mixes Eminem's Relapse and The Marshall Mathers LP so I was definitely here for that. The style of the skits were similar to that of Aquemini by OutKast. Some of Kendrick's more relentless flows also seemed fairly 'Andre 3000 influenced' too. 

Compton felt like one of those classic West-Coast bangers for the ages, and this was Kendrick's version. Having Dr Dre on there was perfect. Dre sounded amazing, the flow was spot-on, especially where he says "and that's the given, I pass the blunt then pass the torch of course that's my decision, I crash the Porsche then you report that you see me in Benzes".The way he uses "p" and "b" really makes is slap nice and smoothly.

There's so many great things to say about this album. Poetic Justice was really calm, I didn't know Drake was on it, but when I heard it start I was thinking Drake would be class for this song, and then he came on and he was. m.A.A.d city definitely has grown on me over the years and does have a lot more to it then I originally thought, it probably contains some of the biggest lyrical highlights and quotable lyrics.



Kendrick is a great storyteller and I think he can do it great throughout an entire album, the way he links his songs together and ties in all the themes is really intelligent. He has done that on To Pimp a Butterfly and DAMN, I love both of them albums, especially DAMN. But I'd have to say that good kid m.A.A.d city probably takes the number 1. The Art of Peer Pressure being my favourite song from the album, due to this being probably the best example of his vivid, creative storytelling skills. 

What an album. I am now familiar with his main 3 albums, GKMC, TPAB and DAMN and I enjoy them all. He has definitely set the bar very high for the future. I hope he keeps meeting it.


Promise that you'll sing about me forever

8.75/10

Comments