Ranking OutKast's Albums From Worst To Best

Since first hearing and reviewing "Aquemini" back in August 2019, I have been quietly getting in to the rest of OutKasts catalogue. In the past year and half, OutKast have become one of my favourite hip hop groups, certainly one of my favourite hip hop duo's, and both Andre 3000 and Big Boi are in, or thereabouts in my top 10 MC's of all time. 

Most recently, I have been getting to know their latest album "Idlewild", and seen as that signified me completing the discography, I figured it'd be time to continue the "ranking X albums" series, with episode 3 now. In the past we've spoke about Kanye West's and Eminem's CD's, now it's time for OutKast's.




Worst: Southernplayalisticadillamuzik (1994)

This was so tough to put this album in last place and I felt so bad about doing it. Coming out in the mid 90's, out of all the OutKast albums this one definitely has the most "classic" feel and typically hip hop themes and sounds. Although, the southern influenced beats and accent still make it stand out and give you a flavour that you may not have tasted thus far at the time of this album dropping. Not saying OutKast were the only southern hip hop groups to have come out, they weren't, but their sometimes off-kilter flows, infectious deliveries and smooth melodic hooks made them not only unique, but exceptional. Immeaditely, you get hit with tons of personality that you can fall in love with, and yeah, the vibe they set out in '94 was great, making no surprises they went on to achieve what they did after that.

Star Track - Ain't No Thang





6th Best: Idlewild (2006)

"Idlewild" was actually made in support of the film of the same name as the feature soundtrack. The film starred Andre 3000 and Big Boi, however, I haven't actually seen it, in the past when I have spoke about soundtracks I have always thought about does it actually marry up with the film, does it follow the same themes as the film, does it add extra context to the film? Given that I had haven't seen it though, I can only go on the music and the music alone. There are some skits containing dialogue from the film, so I didn't really know what was going on then. The reason this project comes in just ahead of Southernplayalistic is because Idlewild is stacked with hits. This definitely feels like a continuation of Speakerboxx/The Love Below. With Big Boi holding it down with the rapping, and Andre experimenting more with Jazz, Swing and singing more and more. Both perform exceptionally well and it is a very entertaining album. Now I just need to go see the movie.

Star Track - Hollywood Divorce





5th Best: ATLiens (1996)

"Now throw yo hands in the airrrrr". Although I love Southernplayalistic and Idlewild, this is the section in the list where things really turn up and the projects really reach the highest levels. By this album, OutKast really honed in their skills, their lyricism was taken to new heights. But also, so did their songwriting. This album is full of sick production and rhyme schemes and flows that are addictive. This also signified OutKast becoming more experimental with their music. This is the first time they started being a bit "weirder", and I say that with nothing but love. Not that they did on Southernplayalistic, but OutKasts insistence to not conform to formulas made them so endearing and exciting. This can be seen on many songs in this CD, such as; Milennium, Elevators and Wheelz of Steel.

Star Track - ATLiens 




4th Best: The Love Below (2003)

What an album - given to how different it is to Speakerboxxx, I thought it would only be fair to treat them as different albums. I love both of these, and again, I struggled putting The Love Below this far down the list. Andre's side of the double LP, he really starts to experiment here and take things in a different direction that isn't necessarily the same one as Big Boi was taking. Much of the rapping was swapped out for singing, and singing really well. It had funky, swing and jazzy production, but was still rooted in it's southern style. As well as having two massive hits "Hey Ya" and "Roses", it had songs that aren't quite as famous but really should be. "A life in the day of Andre Benjamin" is a great storytelling piece, "Behold a lady" is a lady appreciation anthem that Andre kills it with his melodies and cadences and "Happy Valentine's Day" is a jumpy, catchy love tune, as you could imagine, with great backing vocals and a decent verse from Andre.

Star Track - Roses




3rd Best: Stankonia (2000)

Straight from the off you can tell this album was going to be different, with the high-tempo, high energy banger "Gasoline Dreams". I really thought this was my favourite OutKast album until I made this article and really had to think about it. But that said, I still love this album. The ear for amazing hooks was evident the most in this album out of any album before this. Hooks such as "I'll Call Before I Cum" and "We Love Deez Hoes" are sensational. The production feels slightly more electronic and less set in traditional hip hop sounds and aesthetics. But as someone who ranked "Yeezus" by Kanye as his greatest album to date, I absolutely loved this. This albums really cool, really diverse and has some brilliant lyrical highlights - "Ms Jackson" alone is a great example of this.




2nd Best: Speakerboxxx (2003)

In second place we have the masterpiece that is Speakerboxxx. Such an awesome album, with brilliant production and fire verses throughout. "GhettoMusick" sets the pace, and although there is moments that are more chilled, it doesn't really falter. I know earlier I said that this is a very different album to The Love Below, and it is to an extent, although the aesthetic does still have some similarities, it's still funky and a little off-kilter at times, but it completely works. The rapping and the choruses are always of a high quality. Like Andre, Big Boi has a great ability to tell stories. The features always play their part in making the songs versatile and unique. Many of the songs connected with me, we learn a lot more about Big Boi and Andre on this double LP. Again, the most compelling this about this album are the flows, listen to "The Way You Move" for a prime example of this. I know this isn't as recognised as The Love Below, but I think it really should be. It is underrated, but in my opinion is that it shouldn't be. This is an album close to my heart and I'm very grateful that I have discovered it.

"Might as well have fun cos your happiness is done when your goose is cooked"

Star Track - Unhappy




Best: Aquemini (1998)


The peak of OutKast. I think it comes down to fact that this is also the peak of Andre and Big Boi's rapping abilities. They didn't get bad post Aquemini, however, I'm not sure if the flows on songs like "Aquemini" or "Rosa Parks" ever were particularly topped. Their vivid storytelling and lyricism gelled brilliantly with the thick, enhanced, full-of-flavour production and the smooth hooks also kept the songs catchy and entertaining. The skits laced throughout also gave an insight more into the lives of OutKast and their surroundings as they grew up. They really take you to Atlanta. I've said this before, but the experimental side of OutKast's music sets them apart from the rest but completely attracts you towards it. I'd definitely recommend Aquemini to anyone wanting to get into their music, just as I did, it is a great introduction and will open the door to the rest of their sick discography. They are brilliant at creating different but always consistent vibes with their album. As in, they always consistently make a nice vibe, but from album to album, that vibe can be different lol. Aquemini is a certified classic and is right near the top of my list for best hip hop albums ever. 

Star Track - Chonkyfire 



Hope you enjoyed reading this article. I will look to do more of these ranking blogs in the future. If you haven't heard OutKast's albums before then I hope this inspires you to do so. If you have already heard them, then I'd be interested to hear how you would rank them. Would Aquemini top yours? Would Southernplayalistic rank higher? Which would be higher out of The Love Below and Speakerboxx?

Shoutout to Elin for getting me all their CD's too x

Comments