ScHoolboy Q: Oxymoron - Classic Album Review

Haven't done a 'classic' album review in ages, but I'm back here with my second ScHoolboy Q review - back in May 2020 I reviewed Blank Face LP and absolutely loved that album, so I was really excited to get into Oxymoron for the first time.

4 Minute Read

oxymoron album cover

Shoutout to Harry my boy for telling me to listen to this album, was a while ago now but he spoke really highly of it so knew that it would be something hard, and he didn't let me down.

Compared to Blank Face LP there aren't as many moments I can identify and be like 'oh yeah, that is really typical of West Coast Hip Hop', but overall, it still feels very West Coast. Gangsta kicks off the album in a a way that feels evil and sinister. Q sounds like a badman and the boom bap beat is clean but dirty, the piano feels harrowing and scary - really ill way to kick off the album.

Los Awesome wasn't really for me in all honesty, I didn't like the glamourous beat on it at all. Then we get a really good run of songs which define the first half of the album for me; Collard Greens, What They Want, Hover Street and Studio. Collard Greens and Studio are both catchy on landing and the features really help to make the tracks what they are. The album needs these two tracks. Hoover Street is a great display of storytelling and Q flexes his lyrical muscle and brings you into his gritty, tough-upbringing and this track feels real and authentic - key to making Hip Hop music that will connect with an audience.

One of my favourite aspects of Q is his gravelly voice, it's harsh, raspy and it helps him to stamp his authority on his music. I fell in love with it on Blank Face LP, but it does feel much rawer on this record.

The Purge brings Tyler, The Creator into the picture as his hook taunts the listener and engages them. Kurupt brings a really nice feature verse and hearing his voice alone is a big Win for me as it fully reminds me of 2001 by Dr Dre where he is all over that joint.

Something about Blind Threats just didn't really sit nicely with me, I thought the beat felt a bit 'YouTube type beat' if you know what I mean so it just was a bit of a dud to me. Yeah, I just don't know if it married up too well with Q's potential.

Then, we have a 3-track run that defines the second half of this album. And, I'm not going to lie, this is one of my favourite 3-track runs in Hip Hop. It starts with Hell of a Night (got to be blasting these 3 tracks for maximum enjoyment), this track is full of energy with a nice build up to the drop and cool backing vocals that just repeat over and over and comfort the trap drums. Q does his thing with real and greazy sounding bars. This track can take you anywhere you want to be. I'd love to see these tracks live, particularly Hell of a Night
Next, we have Break the Bank, this has the strongest hook on the album but again a really solid beat, this one is a boom bap instrumental that gives Q an amazing platform to shell his lyrics. His delivery is second to none, giving you aggression and passion that the listener can feel in their soul. 
Lastly in this 3-track run we have Man of the Year, this is a similar vein to the previous 2 numbers. Another creative and anthem-like chorus that only Q could pull off. The beat is full, cinematic and rich with emotion.

His & Her Fiend was a miss for me. Thought the beat was boring and Sza wasn't used to her full potential at all.  Grooveline pt.2 really grew on me, and the groovy, funky hook was a nice listen. I thought it was E-40 with the off-beat flow at first, but was actually Suga Free - I'm not necessarily a huge fan of that type of rapping but can appreciate it for what it is, it does have a place on this song so can't be too mad about it.

For the closing track Fuck LA, I have either heard this track or he uses a VERY similar flow for a hook on Blank Face LP, this confused the fuck out of me and kind of stopped me from ever being able to get into this song.

Overall, this project is hard with some really high highs. Not sure if I would have it on the same level as Blank Face LP, but who knows, maybe that will change in the future as opinions often do. Some songs that I would cut, but as a body of work it is still hard as nails. Q to me is in his own space. There are comparisons that can be made with other MC's projects, but in terms of his angry, violent delivery and lyrics that bring you into his shoes, he is special. I have a serious respect for the music he makes and the lanes that he operates in.

8/10
Star Track - Break the Bank

Comments