Ranking Kendrick Lamar Albums From Worst to Best

Just a couple of disclaimers for this list; to make it a bit longer I included Untitled Unmastered and Overly Dedicated even though they are classed as a 'compilation' album and a 'mixtape' respectively. I included them to make the list a bit longer. However, I have omitted the Black Panther Soundtrack because he's not on every song and it's a bit harder to weigh up a soundtrack for a film vs a project solely dedicated to the music. Lastly,  I know there's several other Kendrick mixtapes and EP's out there on the airwaves but they're simply not on the list because I haven't heard them :( feel free to reach out and let me know what I'm missing out on the most.

Kendrick Lamar rapping live

Worst: Untitled Unmastered (2016)
untitled unmastered art work
I believe a project that was very popular at the time but from my perspective has massively fallen under the radar. For the sake of this list I had to revisit this project to see what was going on. And I once again found that I enjoyed it. It has some nice jazzy moments with some great arrangements, particularly on Untitled 05 with some cloudy drums and nice sax in the background which comes and goes at will, along with jazzy keys and a mean bassline. The whole album felt alive and rich will flavour. There was some nice funky bits too like on Untitled 03 and Untitled 08 which was classic Kendrick of this era. There are some similarities with the main LP's of the time and although I'd argue Kendrick is still in his prime now, this was certainly Kendrick in the peak of his powers. I guess just the length of the project mixed with less tracks sticking with me is the reason why it's the lowest on the list, but I still thoroughly believe it's a good project.

Star Track - Untitled 08

6th Best: Overly Dedicated (2010)
overly dedicated art work
My feelings for Overly Dedicated bare a lot of similarity to how I felt a few weeks ago when I listened to So Far Gone (2009) by Drake. It was, what I could imagine, back in the day a great introduction to their music. It's rough round the edges, a little bit of a jumble, with lots of different sounds and styles but ultimately, the basis of a talented artist making great music was all there. As like many of Kendrick's albums, the album sounded quintessentially west-coast with lots of inspirations on show as well, but there's an extreme uniqueness and an excitement for hearing something like no other. Kendrick's charisma and enthusiasm for detail and lyricism shines through. A few particular highlights came from, Growing Apart (To Get Closer) (brilliant performance from Jhené Aiko), Alien Girl (Today W/ Her), She Needs Me (Remix), Average Joe and last but certainly not least, Barbed Wire where Kendrick displayed hit talent for creating sharp and focused narratives.  

Star Track - Barbed Wire

5th Best: Section.80 (2011)
section 80 art work
Not only does this placement mark a big jump-up in my enjoyment, from this point on everything on the list is an outright album, rather than a compilation or mixtape. The tracklist gets off to an epic start with F*ck Your Ethnicity, Hol' Up, A.D.H.D, No Make-up (Her Vice)... and so on, and these are either full of wordy bars, more melodic tracks or just bangers, but the quality doesn't really dissipate at all throughout the whole album run. There's definitely tracks that are better than others but really this album plays back to front with very limited skips. Where Overly Dedicated was a jumble of ideas, Section.80 feels much more refined and you can actually here some ideas that make it further onto later albums in his discography. All-round solid project and at the time would have been an indication of even better things to come.

Star Track - Blow My High (Members Only)

4th Best: Mr Morale & The Big Steppers (2022)
mr morale & the big steppers art work
For me, Mr Morale & The Big Steppers was a heavy grower. It took a more-than-normal period of time for me to fully enjoy this album. That has happened with Kendrick albums in the past to a certain extent, but this was definitely the most aggressive example. There are still a few songs where I'm not overly big on, such as United in Grief, Worldwide Steppers and Mirror. And I think We Cry Together lacks that replay-ability despite it's brilliant performance, creative thinking and chemistry between Kendrick and Taylour Paige. N95 is kind of hard but I think mostly overrated, as is Die Hard. However, when you consider songs like Father Time, Rich Spirit, Purple Hearts, Count Me Out, Silent Hill, Saviour, Auntie Diaries and Mother I Sober, christ, the tracklist looks stacked. With these peaks alone you can see why the album is getting its accolades and appreciation it deserves. Though not my favourite album of 2022, those incredible tracks just mentioned help put it in my top 10. Kendrick's delivery once again is precise and phenomenal, his message is clear and well-thought out and executed impressively, and lastly, his pen is being pushed to great heights, especially on some of the songs later down the tracklist.

Star Track - Count Me Out

3rd Best: DAMN (2017)
DAMN art work
DAMN will always hold a special place in my heart as the first Kendrick album that I listened to (late to the party I know). 2017 was the year where I thought I'd really try expand my music listening and move away from just the old-school and Eminem-type of Hip Hop. I tried to listen to more newer music that came out. Along with I Decided by Big Sean and ALL-AMERIKKKAN BASA$$ by Joey Bada$$, DAMN was one of my favourite albums of 2017 and album I really fucked with - without these 3 albums I probably wouldn't be writing these reviews and articles now. When I hear songs like YAH, LOYALTY and PRIDE now, my body is filled with nostalgia. Playing this album takes me back to those days of finishing sixth form and entering those early post-school moments. Those times, you go through a lot of change and adjustments, to have a fire album to listen to and take solace in and be able to just enjoy, was great. I remember speaking to friends about this album over text and in person too, discussing the amazing chorus and singing on LOVE and the sleepy instrumental on PRIDE. Even discussing about the context of this album, was this the hat-trick project of a classic three album run, or did this fall below the standards of his previous 2? For me, the production, sampling, lyricism, flows, content matter all make this creative and thought-provoking project, a quality record.

Star Track - LOVE.  

2nd Best: To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)
to pimp a butterfly art work
It was always going to be a toss-up between these two albums for me. Like the album in number 1 on this list, this album took a while to grow on me and for me to fully appreciate its qualities, and once it did, I absolutely learned to love it. The messaging of course is important, and the creativity and lyricism in which he communicates it is sensational. The production is amazing too with some awesome beats like These Walls which feels like pure silk and then there's also Blacker the Berry which was hard-hitting and powerful. Really advanced production that I really love. Kendrick does have some really sick flows and decent rhyme schemes, but for me it's way more about his delivery, voice control and charisma that make him great. Too many tracks up and down the album, quality features as well from Snoop Dogg and certainly Rapsody. I'm not huge on every track, for example For Free - Interlude, but that's about it to be fair. But yeah, great performance, great storytelling, sick attempt at a concept album, brilliant songs.

Star Track - These Walls (this was seriously a toss-up between 4 songs lol)

Best: good, kid, m.A.A,d city (2012)
good kid mad city art work
For me, this is Kendrick's best album. His first of 2 classics I'd say that he has under his belt, DAMN is close though. Again, phenomenal production that perfectly represents where he's come from and what he's all about. Beats on Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, The Art of Peer Pressure and m.A.A.D.d city, are some brilliant examples. Through his lyrics he has this ability to bring you into his world and his story in Compton. His rhyming was so sharp, his delivery and tone so potent and his vision for his music so clear. For every sick beat, Kendrick executes an incredible verse. Looking back at this album, it's aged really well and is iconic for Hip Hop fans of a similar age to myself. I've had some great moments listening to tracks like m.A.A.d city and Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe in the years that it's been out. Seeing him perform Swimming Pools at Leeds Fest in 2018 was incredible. That attachment is something I think I have moreso on this album than To Pimp a Butterfly. For me GKMC has bigger songs, and I know that popularity isn't always the best way of comparing album quality, but I just think the songs are better too. Listenability is really high on this album yes, but Kendrick doesn't ever sacrifice message or lyrical genius that embodies everything that Hip Hop and rapping is about.   

Star Track - The Art of Peer Pressure

Comments